Before March of this year, a trip to the store didn’t necessarily send you down the cleaning products aisle frantically searching for any type of cleaning supplies you could get your hands on, most importantly disinfectant wipes, bleach and hand sanitizers.
In fact, you likely only shopped the cleaning supplies aisle on an as needed basis; when you ran out of something, you simply picked up more on your next shopping trip.
In March, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared COVID-19 a global pandemic. Many of us scrambled to try and understand the full implications of this. Once we realized the gravity of the situation on a national and global scale, the unprecedented uncertainty drove many of us into extreme measures to ensure our health and safety; panic-buying and supply hoarding.
First to fly from store shelves was toilet paper, followed by water and flour, then cleaning products, and hand sanitizer.
And then we really started to panic. We tried every specialty skincare shop known for stocking tiny ounce-size bottles of whatever sweet-smelling-gel-bedazzled-with-glitter sanitizer concoction we could get our germy hands on (we were desperate). We searched online. If we were lucky, we found hand sanitizer available from some retailers and third party sellers but at completely unethical prices and delivery wait times of up to three weeks.
Months passed and still, no steady supply of hand sanitizer entered the markets. Why couldn’t we find any hand sanitizer spray after months of it being missing from our shelves?
The reason is two-fold.
- Short supply. Because the demand for hand sanitizer grew some 239% in the month of March, the demand for the materials used to produce hand sanitizer also increased. For instance, plastics manufacturers producing bottles for hand sanitizer spray ramped up their output but still couldn’t meet the increased demand. Issues like slowdowns in the supply chain from China and the supply demands for other plastic products were the two biggest contributors to the disparages between supply and demand for hand sanitizers.
- Healthcare took priority. As our hospitals began seeing thousands of COVID-19 patients, their need for personal protective equipment, also referred to as PPE, and hand sanitizer spray increased exponentially. The top sanitizer manufacturers responded as quickly as they could, supplying hospitals and healthcare professionals with hand sanitizer spray, but this left consumers scrambling to find alternatives.
March and April were the perfect storm scenario for increased demand on a supply chain that simply couldn’t keep pace. Even when hand sanitizer began hitting the shelves, we were faced with purchase limits and questionable ingredients that made eroded consumer confidence.
Though supply has slowly started to meet the demand for hand sanitizers, it’s still important to make sure that the hand sanitizer sprays and gels meet the WHO and CDC guidelines for safe and effective use.
What is Hand Sanitizer Spray?
Hand washing is one of the most effective tools in your arsenal for fighting germs and keeping yourself well.
However, sometimes soap and water aren’t available. Moving onto a new piece of equipment at the gym, in between school pick-ups and drops-offs, at your desk, in the car, leaving the grocery store- there are a million scenarios where you can use hand sanitizer spray for easy and quick cleaning.
Hand sanitizer is available in gel and spray forms, but sprays are more multi-purpose.
The CDC recommends that a hand sanitizer be 60% isopropyl or ethyl alcohol by volume to effectively kill germs, bacteria, and spores on your hands. However, if the spray contains an alcohol content of 70% or higher, it can be used effectively on non-porous surfaces as well.
If you’ve got a hand sanitizer spray that has an isopropyl alcohol content of 70% or greater, you can use it to kill germs, bacteria, and spores on your smartphone and tablet and other high traffic objects in addition to your hands. That’s killing two birds with one stone -- or maybe, killing more germs with one spray.
Hand sanitizer spray is an important addition to your daily hygiene practices, and can help you avoid transferring germs from your hands to your face.
Reasons people use hand sanitizer spray:
- It’s effective. A formulation that contains 60% isopropyl alcohol or higher is effective in killing 99.9% of germs, bacteria, and spores on your hands. A formula with a percentage just 10 percent higher at 70% alcohol can effectively kill the same germs on non-porous surfaces like your phone, tablet, keyboard, and desk.
- It’s convenient. You don’t always have soap and water, but you can easily carry a two-ounce bottle of hand sanitizer spray in your purse, pocket, or bookbag, and stow some in your desk drawer and car. You can sanitize your hands whenever and wherever with hand sanitizer spray.
- It’s safe. You should be able to recognize the ingredients on your hand sanitizer bottle. If you can’t, don’t buy it. Hand sanitizer is safe as long as it doesn’t include ingredients that are not recommended by the CDC, such as methanol (a wood alcohol that can be toxic). The best way to protect yourself against harmful ingredients is to read the ingredients list and make yourself familiar with what the WHO deems acceptable for inclusion in these products.
This all sounds great, but ultimately, you need to be able to actually buy the stuff, which can seem impossible amid consumer hoarding and price gouging.
Where Can I Buy Hand Sanitizer Spray?
If you’re still convinced hand sanitizer is more excessive than necessary- Sanitizer.com is fully stocked and ready to ship safe, effective, affordable hand sanitizer sprays and gels just in case you change your mind...
When we saw what was happening with hand sanitizer globally, we knew we needed to help make a change. The incredibly high prices paired with shortages on store shelves created mass panic, which led many of us to stock up on anything we could find. The system simply wasn't sustainable, so we developed hand sanitizer spray that’s available to everyone at a fair price point, and in perfect monthly quantities.
- No need for hoarding. With a monthly subscription to Sanitizer.com, you get the perfect amount of hand sanitizer spray you need each and every month, shipped straight to your door. Everyone gets an opportunity to stay clean and healthy. Once you sign up, you never have to think about your supply of hand sanitizer spray again.
If you’re not a fan of commitment, don’t worry- we're breezy, we offer subscription and single-purchase options so we’ve got you covered either way.
- No need for price gouging. Even if demand increases, we are committed to delivering a fair price to our consumers. We want to make clean, healthy hands available to all, not just some. As such, you’ll never see price gouging practices on our website now, or ever.
Our business ethics aren’t the only reason why you’ll love us; our hand sanitizer sprays are pretty awesome, too. In fact, our sanitizer spray contains 80% isopropyl alcohol, so it’s a practical multi-purpose spray you can use not only on your hands, but on your devices and other non-porous surfaces as well. We offer a variety of quality sanitizer options through our marketplace. No matter where, when or what you need, Sanitizer.com has quality, vetted products to help keep you safe and healthy.
In addition, our hand sanitizer spray:
- Meets WHO and CDC guidelines for approved, safe ingredients. We only use a few ingredients: isopropyl alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, glycerin, and water, and they are all approved for use in hand sanitizer by the WHO and CDC.
- Doesn’t dry your hands or leave them feeling chapped. We include glycerin in our hand sanitizer spray, so no matter how many times you sanitize, your hands always remain soft.
- Is fast acting and quickly-absorbing. To effectively use hand sanitizer, you need to be able to do it quickly. Spraying your hands with our hand sanitizer spray and rubbing them together until dry takes less than ten seconds.
- Contains no harmful or unnecessary additives. While we love a fresh scent, but some hand sanitizers can clear a room with their stinkalicious bouquet of alcohol and fragrance. At Sanitizer.com we’ve opted for the subtle, unscented “smells like it’s working” fragrance. Most of our customers describe our scent as “clean” which if you’re using as much sanitizer as you should be, is quite a high compliment.
- Made in the U.S.A. We are a U.S.-based company. Our products are made and distributed in America. You don’t have to wonder or worry about the origins of your hand sanitizer spray will come from any longer. .
Sanitizer.com offers reliable, effective, affordable hand sanitizer that’s shipped directly to your door, with the option to set it and forget it with our monthly subscription option or with the flexibility of just when you need it. It’s a game-changing scenario that can help us better survive this global crisis, one spray at a time.